Monday, August 13, 2012

Gravy Chicken Stew


This is a recipe I just came up with today. It's actually based on my "Herb Roast Chicken with Gravy" recipe. I wanted to have that certain taste without having to roast the chicken. So I thought about just stewing it with the same ingredients and this is what I came up with.

1 kilo chicken legs and thighs
2 large potatoes, cubed
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 beef bouillon cube
2 pandan leaves, folded and tied
4-5 cups water
2 tablespoons flour dissolved in 1/2 cup water
pinch white pepper
pinch black pepper
1tsp salt
2 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1-1/2 tablespoon butter
half a bulb of minced garlic
1 large onion, chopped

Sautee garlic and onion in oil, then add the chicken, water, potatoes, bouillon cubes, pandan leaves, black and white pepper, salt, rosemary, thyme and butter.

Bring to a boil. Boil uncovered for 30 minutes and then add the flour/water mixture. Continue boiling for the next 45 minutes uncovered. I know that's a long time, but as with my other recipes, I like to boil chicken a long time. The meat is close to falling off the bone, but that's the way I like it.

You might also end up with a lot of sauce, but that's also the way I like it. You can reduce the initial amount of water if you like, and just add more if the sauce reduces too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment