Friday, September 21, 2012

Chicken Adobo sa Calamansi


Adobo is traditionally done by balancing quantities of vinegar and soy sauce to make a stew. Since I was sick for a couple of weeks, I've had someone squeeze 1 kilo of calamansi for me to make into a juice. Staring into the jar of squeezed calamansi, observing how sour it was, I wondered what would happen if I used that instead of vinegar when making adobo?

Today I did just that.

And it turned out fantastic. Everyone just loved it. I ended up eating more than I should have. Even Ilyn ate two servings when she would only eat one. She said that the calamansi made the adobo taste fresher compared to one made with vinegar.

Here's the recipe:

1 kilo chicken thighs and legs
1 bulb garlic minced
6 tablespoons squeezed calamansi
6 tablespoons Kikkoman soy sauce
1 sachet Ginisa Flavor mix or 1 tsp salt
black pepper ground
2 cups water
3 bay leaves
Toasted garlic (optional)

In a wok, fry garlic in oil then put the chicken in to fry for a bit. (Don't burn the garlic.)

Pour in the calamansi and soy sauce, add the bay leaves, flavor mix or salt, and black pepper. Once it's boiling, put the 2 cups of water. Don't stir! Bring the heat down to medium, cover, then allow to boil for 30-45 minutes or until the chicken is done.

Yes, I put in a lot of water because I like my adobo to have lots of sauce. Other adobo variations do not have sauce at all.

On the serving plate, sprinkle some toasted garlic on top of the chicken. It's tough making the perfect toasted garlic, so I just buy a bag of it from siomai sellers at the local market.

There you go!

WHAT IS CALAMANSI?

No comments:

Post a Comment