Thursday, February 23, 2017

Miso Ramen at Ramen Sora, SM San Pablo


I'm not a particularly big fan of ramen. I don't normally go out of my way to eat at ramen places. But when Ramen Sora opened here in San Pablo via SM, I knew I just had to try it, specially since based on their website, Ramen Sora originated in Japan. So this is pretty much as authentic as we can get locally. This was probably only the third time in my life I'm eating ramen at a restaurant. The first was this place in Malate that I've forgotten. Then there was the time I tried Ippudo in Robinson's Place, Manila. Ippudo's ramen had incredible flavor. For once I could tell what the fuss was about, but it was a kind of flavor that I wouldn't eat everyday. I'd try it probably only once every few months.

So at Ramen Sora I ordered the "house specialty" which is the Miso Ramen. Immediately after the bowl was put on my table I smelled what seemed to be piss. I thought holy shit, somebody pissed on my ramen. Upon closer inspection it turned out to be the bamboo shoots. I was disappointed. If anyone can prepare bamboo shoots properly it ought to be the Japanese, right? But these shoots were so nasty that I took them out of the bowl and set them aside. I've had better shoots locally which didn't smell this way. I guess I'm just used to freshly chopped shoots that my uncle would bring from San Dig which tastes and smells excellent. I guess if you don't know how to properly prepare bamboo, nastiness would ensue.

Moving past that, the thing I did next was taste the broth, which was just excellent. It did taste like miso soup, but with much more depth of flavor. The pork was much larger than I expected and was very nice and tender. The noodles were firm but not chewy. They were just perfect. But I guess the bamboo shoots ruined my appetite more than I realized because I wasn't able to finish it. I'm not sure if I would eat ramen at Ramen Sora again though. As I said, I'm not really a big fan to begin with. I'll probably go back and try the other stuff on the menu.

Ilyn ordered as side of Mango Crab Roll and it was really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment