Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Home Made Ice Tea


I've been experimenting on and off creating my own ice tea from scratch. I've tried with different kinds of tea including black, earl grey, darjeeling and green across several brands, but it wasn't until I found this Organo Gold Organic Green Tea was I able to make something that was very satisfactory.

Basically what I did was this:

I had a sealable plastic pitcher in the house which can contain almost 2 liters of liquid. In this container I put about a liter and a half of really cold water. Into this water I squeezed the juice of at least 15 calamansi. (You can add more according to your taste.) I then added 3/4 cup of "segunda" sugar. That's sugar that's between white and brown. You can add more sugar according to your taste. It usually takes quite a lot of sugar to make tea like this taste sweet.

Now the reason for the sealable pitcher is I can close this and shake it around very vigorously. I do this to completely incorporate the sugar, water and calamansi.

In a 500ml container I steeped 4 teabags of Organo Green Tea in boiled water for around 8 minutes, then poured that into the pitcher. I shake the pitcher even more.

An added bonus as to why I use plastic pitcher is I can place it in a cache in the door of the our refrigerator's freezer. That would allow the tea to get really really cold.

I usually prepare this several hours before serving so the tea will be ice cold upon serving.

My pal Jonas Diego has made a nice graphic about this tea which you can find here.

Green Tea is by no means the only Organo Gold product I've come across. They also have some really fine coffees like Mocha, Cafe Latte and Black Coffee. Personally, my favorite is their Cafe Latte, which I found to be perfect for making iced coffee.  You can find out more about other Organo Gold coffees here.

Check out their Official Facebook Page here:
http://www.facebook.com/LuvACup

No comments:

Post a Comment