Sunday, May 26, 2013

[Video Recipe] Adobong Manok sa Gata


I finally got around to making recipe videos again! Some of my most watched videos on You Tube are recipe videos so that's a clear message right there. People want cooking stuff on video!

This "Adobong Manok sa Gata" recipe has actually been shot well, way back 2009. I never managed to get around to editing it because honestly, these cooking videos really take a long time to edit. It's not like I can just talk in front of a camera for a few minutes and upload. Putting together something like this takes much much longer. Usually half a day. That's perhaps why I didn't do too many of these... until I found a way I can do it quickly.

And the secret really was to remove my face from the equation and just focus on the food. That would be less distraction ( I know how distracting my face can be! hehe), and it's actually easier to put the video together.

Adobong Manok sa Gata is a traditional Southern Tagalog recipe that has been around for centuries. Our ancestors loved cooking with vinegar because it allowed food to last longer, and this was important during a time when there were still no way of refrigerating food for preservation.

Adobong Manok sa Gata is basically chicken cooked in vinegar, coconut milk and young papaya fruit that hasn't ripened yet.

Here are my ingredients:

1-1/2 Kilo chicken parts including livers and gizzards
1/2 cup coconut vinegar (preferably), or cane vinegar
1/3 cup patis or or fish sauce
2 cups coconut milk
1 bulb garlic, chopped
2 medium sized onion, chopped
2 tablespoons grated ginger
cooking oil
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 young unripe papaya (if you can't find it, sayote would do fine), peeled and sliced

For the procedure, watch the video:


No comments:

Post a Comment