Friday, July 6, 2012

Burong Dalag, OMG


Ok, this is probably one of the nastiest things I've ever eaten. Basically, it's fish and rice that's left to rot for a week and then sauteed in oil, garlic and onion. That's basically what Burong Dalag is.

"Buro" is a process of fermentation that originated probably in Pampanga, an area of the Philippines noted for its cooking. And eating decomposed food too apparently.

Strangely enough, I actually like it. In fact, I love it. I couldn't get enough of it.

This Burong Dalag was just given to us by someone who knows how to do it well. My mom has attempted to do this twice and it's always ended in disaster. Apparently, there's a fine line that separates well done Buro and a totally fetid piece of horse vomit. And our attempts resulted always in the latter.

We just couldn't stand the awful smell as the thing decomposes during the week. We were told it was supposed to smell that way, but holy crap, the thing was just nasty. We ended up burying the thing underground.

I guess we'll just have our friend do it for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment