Sunday, July 22, 2012

Kinulob na Manok


Whenever I pass this certain restaurant near the SPC Medical Center, I see them advertising one of their specialties called "Kinulob na Itik". Being the food freak that I am, I immediately became curious. I've never heard of that dish before, and I was wondering if I could do it with chicken. (But of course.)

So I went online looking for recipes to Kinulob na Manok, and I found several. The strange thing is, they're all completely different recipes with completely different ingredients.

But the thing that was similar to all of them is that you cook the chicken whole in a deep pan or casserole, and boil it with various ingredients until the chicken is done. That's pretty much it.

So in short, "Kinulob na Manok" is in fact "Stewed Whole Chicken".


I took bits from a couple of recipes, added a few flourishes of my own, and I came up with this recipe:

1 whole chicken
1/4 kilo chicken gizzards
250 grams tomato ketchup
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons margarine
240 ml pineapple juice
250 grams bacon, chopped
2 pcs. Chinese sausage, sliced into coins
1 big white onion, chopped
4 pcs. bay leaves
1 chicken cube or 1 sachet ginisa flavor mix
2 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup soy sauce
black pepper (to taste)

As you may notice, I no longer added any salt as the sodium would come from the soy sauce, chicken cube and hoisin sauce.

Place the chicken in the center of a deep casserole or any deep pan that you can cover. Add all other ingredients in the casserole. Make sure the casserole is small enough for the liquid to completely cover the chicken. Turn on the stove at high heat. When it boils, turn down the heat to medium, and cooked, covered, for at least an hour and a half.

That's kind of long and the chicken is close to falling apart, but it tastes great!

Remove the chicken and place on a serving tray, but let the remaining liquid to boil for 10-15 minutes to allow it to reduce into a thick sauce.

On the plate, surround the chicken with the sausages, gizzards, bacon and pour the sauce generously over everything.

I must say, this particular dish came out a screaming success.

No comments:

Post a Comment