Saturday, July 14, 2012

My History with Ling Nam


Ling Nam is a Chinese restaurant that has been operating in the Philippines since 1950. It's first branch is still operating and is still located at T. Alonzo Street in Binondo, Manila.

In the mid 90s, I was part of an Architectural firm that was responsible for designing and constructing several branches of Ling Nam across Metro Manila.  The branches I had a hand in are all closed now, but they were located at People's Park (now Trinoma), Divisoria, and Recto.

The branch in Recto (near National Book Store) I had a big hand in because I was the main designer. I also had the demented idea of putting a tromp l' oeil on the curving ceiling of the restaurant, depicting the bright blue sky with clouds. Since none of the painters could do it, I had no choice but to do it myself. So there I was for a couple of days in painter's gear, painting the ceiling.  It turned out pretty nice, I thought.

I feel kind of sad that the Recto branch was eventually closed. I had planned on taking photos of it, but I never had the chance.

I'm glad to see that Ling Nam is still going strong today. The branch I visited earlier today is next to Tiendecitas in Pasig. When I saw it, I knew I had to eat there!


I had Chicken Noodle, Hakaw and Ilyn had Sweet and Sour Fish and Garlic Spinach. Now Ilyn is pretty picky when it comes to Chinese restaurants, but she seemed to really like the food at Ling Nam.

As for me, I thought the noodle tasted as nice as I remember it back in the mid 90s. It's not earth shatteringly awesome, but it tastes better than a lot of chicken noodles I've eaten at similar restaurants. The Hakaw, which is I believe steamed shrimp dumpling, was also pretty nice, although the other covering seemed a little to chewy. The inside tasted pretty good though.

Like Ilyn, I too like it better than say,  Chow King or Hap Chan. Don't worry, I won't leave it at that.  I think they both deserve their proper reviews in this blog one of these days.


As for Ling Nam, I wouldn't mind coming back, although whatever branches are available aren't easily accessible to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment