Friday, July 6, 2012

The Lumpiaco


This is a dish that combines the traditional Pinoy lumpia and the Mexican taco into one. So naturally, it's called the Lumpiaco. (I know, I know)

Anyway, I arrived at this from an inspiration from a dish I tasted when I visited my old college classmate Weng Dayrit's house in Pampanga in the mid 80s. I believe it was her birthday and a bunch of classmates went there for a visit. One of the dishes served was this curious taco that used lumpia wrappers in place of the traditional taco shells.

I tried it myself when I got home and it was great. It was rather difficult to shape the lumpia wrapper into the taco shell shape. And unlike the somewhat flexible taco shell, the fried lumpia wrapper is rigid and brittle, which made eating it rather messy.

So today I decided to try again, this time instead of shaping the lumpia wrapper into taco shells, I thought I'd just wrap the content like a traditional lumpia.

The contents are as follows:

1/2 kilo ground chicken sauteed in garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and 3 tablespoons Old El Paso Mild Taco Sauce.

Chopped tomato, white onion and cabbage.

Grated cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment